Why School Breakfast?
School Breakfast Boosts Students
School breakfast is proven to boost student learning and health. Moms were right; breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Schools have the opportunity to maximize this benefit by increasing the number of students who eat school breakfast every day. Here are a few of breakfast’s benefits:
- Improves concentration
- Improves memory
- Improves math grades
- Improves test taking ability
- Improves attendance
- Reduces tardiness
- Reduces reaction to frustration
- Improves overall nutrition
- More likely to drink more milk and eat more fruit every day
- More likely to maintain a healthy weight
- Less likely to have disordered eating
- Less likely to miss class for not feeling well
- Gives families more time with their children in the morning without worrying about what to make for breakfast
- Provides a few extra minutes for those busy schedules and early bus routes
An even playing field for all children
- Hungry students do not do as well in school
- No matter if families do not have resources to serve breakfast or are just too busy in the morning, all students are ready to learn
Did you know?
According to the No Kid Hungry Hunger in Our Schools report, 78% of teachers who see hunger in the classrooms report spending an average of $26 a month on food. Boosting school breakfast can help alleviate this.