Getting Started – Educators and School Staff
- Be realistic. Starting a breakfast program takes time, so start small.
- Educate yourself on the financial impact of school breakfast.
- Learn what other schools have done to increase breakfast participation.
- Port Huron Success Story
- Learn what other teachers are saying about school breakfast and hunger in schools:
- Check out how other districts have been successful in School Governance & Leadership Winter 2013: Improving Attendance, Health and Behavior – Moving Breakfast Out of the Cafeteria from the American Association of School Administrators.
Make a Plan
- Schedule a meeting with your school nutrition professional and follow these easy tips.
- Put together a team to work together to create a plan.
- Implement the plan.
Make sure to invite a comprehensive team including:
educators, school counselors, nurses, administrators, transportation, custodians, school nutrition professionals, families, students, and community members